Sunday, October 16, 2011

What Can You Say.

From the New York Times, Oct 14th:

A 13-month-old boy died after he apparently swallowed pills from a bottle of prescription drugs that his parents had given him to play with as a rattle, the authorities said on Friday.

The boy, Edwin Perocier Jr., was put in his crib in his parents’ apartment, on Southern Boulevard near 156th Street, in the Bronx, about 9 p.m. on Thursday, a law enforcement official said.

One or both of the parents, Edwin Perocier, 44, and Zoraiva Santiago, 22, gave the child a bottle of Suboxone that belonged to Mr. Perocier, the official said. The medication is used to treat people who are addicted to illegal or prescription opioid drugs.

A short time later, Ms. Santiago went to check on Edwin and found the bottle open. Some of the pills had fallen out and one of them was wet. Ms. Santiago took the pills away, gave the child a bottle of milk, and went to sleep, a law enforcement official said.

At 7:45 a.m. Friday, the parents awoke and found Edwin unconscious in his crib. They called 911, and Edwin was taken to Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

No charges had been filed as of Friday night, a police official said.

Ms. Santiago’s 4-year-old daughter was taken into custody by the Administration for Children’s Services, according to a law enforcement official.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad story....

These idiots will continue to breed though and a few of the children will survive to breed more idiots and so on and so on.

CVH said...

What CAN you say? Tragic. Unnecessary. Moronic. Please stop polluting the gene pool....

The Redheaded Pharmacist said...

This story makes me sad and angry all at the same time. I just don't see how under any circumstances a parent could be that irresponsible.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to the parents..but come on. Not only did you let your child play with your medicine, but the med is also an ODT. It'll dissolve with saliva and tastes sugary (citrusy-orange). So sad and stupid all wrapped in one.

Poppie said...

Wow. Wow.