A 13-month-old boy died after he apparently swallowed pills from a bottle of prescription drugs that his parents had given him to play with as a rattle, the authorities said on Friday.
The boy, Edwin Perocier Jr., was put in his crib in his parents’ apartment, on Southern Boulevard near 156th Street, in the Bronx, about 9 p.m. on Thursday, a law enforcement official said.
One or both of the parents, Edwin Perocier, 44, and Zoraiva Santiago, 22, gave the child a bottle of Suboxone that belonged to Mr. Perocier, the official said. The medication is used to treat people who are addicted to illegal or prescription opioid drugs.
A short time later, Ms. Santiago went to check on Edwin and found the bottle open. Some of the pills had fallen out and one of them was wet. Ms. Santiago took the pills away, gave the child a bottle of milk, and went to sleep, a law enforcement official said.
At 7:45 a.m. Friday, the parents awoke and found Edwin unconscious in his crib. They called 911, and Edwin was taken to Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
No charges had been filed as of Friday night, a police official said.
Ms. Santiago’s 4-year-old daughter was taken into custody by the Administration for Children’s Services, according to a law enforcement official.