Monday, November 14, 2011

Pharmacy Gets A Mention?

Billy Crystal is going to be hosting the upcoming Oscars. I like him on the show and I think he's funny (although I hear he's a raging egomaniac -- but who isn't in show biz.) I couldn't help but notice this in the news article:

Crystal, who has hosted the widely-watched Hollywood telecast eight times previously, announced his new job on Twitter with a post: "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up prescriptions. Looking forward to the show."

It's a funny line, but I would like to personally congratulate that 'young woman in the pharmacy' for doing her job. People don't understand the catastrophes that have resulted when names aren't verified in the pharmacy -- even if we're supposed to know who you are. Give us a break, Billy --- but I'm looking forward to the show too.

3 comments:

lasermed said...

Even when "that young woman at the pharmacy" asks you your name, she doesn't always get it right. My husband was handed a prescription with the correct last name, but the wrong first name. It was my son's first name, but he didn't have any prescriptions at the pharmacy that day. Good thing we noticed! Not all mistakes are the patient's or the doctor's.

Anonymous said...

Ha. Not only should the young woman at the pharmacy ask for the proper name, but she should require the patient to present a drivers' license with the correct spelling of the patient's name, to avoid excuses about pharmacists not getting the 'name' right. There are quite a few people out there that can't seem to even pronounce their own name audibly.

Anonymous said...

As a pharmacist, I don't like having to ask my patients for their name every time either. It is annoying to both them and me. But if it saves a life, even Billy Crystal's, then isn't it worth it?

--Crazy RxMan