Monday, September 29, 2008

Special Orders

We frequently have customers coming in and looking for a specific OTC item that we don't carry. If they mention it's "really hard to find" I always offer to check our wholesaler's catalog and order it for them if it's available. This can be sort of an interruption and can take a few minutes, as sometimes finding the specific item is easier said than done. But I'm glad to do it, because I've wasted many a trip looking for hard-to-find items myself (I think every OTC med/hair/cosmetic/skin product I've ever really, really loved has gone from hard-to-find to discontinued right after I discover it.) If the customer asks me to order the item I do, and I advise them it will be in the next day. The next day it comes in and I carefully set it aside, sometimes with their name on it.

Which is why it kinda bugs me when they never come back and get it. It would be really easy for me to shrug my shoulders and say, "naw, we don't carry that". But I made the effort, so please, come back and get it cause I really have no use for it. We've had many of these oddball items sitting around for months collecting dust. Don't ask me to order it if you're not coming back --- I've got other stuff to do !!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had heard that one or more chains have abandoned the practice of special orders for OTCs. Sad story. I guess it is indeed because people don't follow through and pick up their orders. This wasn't the case 25 years ago, when I worked for a small New England chain. People must have had more patience and diligence then. They knew what they wanted, and followed up on their requests.

Hey--when was the last time someone asked for a child remedy called "Save The Baby?" I honestly don't remember what was in it, but I have no doubt that the trade mark name was what sold the thing.

Frantic Pharmacist said...

This post was written after I ordered a special size of a product for a customer a week ago.
As of today, it's still sittin' there.....

Anonymous said...

tell 'em to give you 5.00 deposit for all special orders. they'll come back for sure

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with you about the stuff I find I love, then it's quickly discontinued...it's that way with new favorite TV shows, too. What's with that?

Shalom said...

Any time I take a special order, I make sure to get the phone number of the one ordering it. If they don't show up after one call and a few days, back to the warehouse it goes...

Don said...

Pay at time of ordering should sort out the serious from the timewasters