Saturday, October 25, 2008

TAXI !!

Woman approaches the counter and we determine that a prescription has been faxed for her from within the clinic. The woman speaks not a word of English. Not ONE word. We fill the prescription. Meanwhile, two other prescriptions show up for her. Through a series of grunts and hand gestures, it becomes apparent she has a taxi waiting and cannot wait for these. She wants them sent to Walgreens. We pull up a list of Walgreens addresses in the area, and she points to one. We call them and fax the prescriptions. I am absolutely sure she will show up at a different Walgreens and they will spend a lot of time trying to figure this one out. I think all their computers are connected so I'll hope for the best.

Next day, man walks in with eight prescriptions. He agrees to wait after a discussion about 'how long?' We're caught up so we start in on them, and he steps out to call a taxi. He returns in a few minutes and seems to expect them to be ready, and we tell him we've just started entering the third one. More time goes by while two technicians work diligently on his prescriptions. They're trying to go fast, so I catch a couple of mistakes. The taxi driver arrives. The customer steps up to the register and stares me down as I'm trying to check everything. I tell the clerk to start ringing him up while I finish. As she does, he asks "Do you need my insurance card?" Sigh.... He claims to be familiar with all the medications, which I doubt since a couple of them involve gradual dosage increases. But, he's gotta get that taxi, and the rest of us need to get out of the way. I sure didn't have a good feeling about that one.

Also had a customer who had been using his Pulmicort Flexhaler with the dosage counter at zero for (probably) several months. He seemed to think it was kind of funny. Yeah, no big deal --- it's just an inhaler. Really more of a plaything. Sigh........

2 comments:

EC said...

We had a guy, an EMT, tell us to hurry up because he had double-parked his ambulance outside. He was being a real jackass to us, so we told him it was going to be a while and he had time to go move it. He didn't like our answer. Too bad.

Anonymous said...

Interesting article you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about this theme. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a photo of some gadget.