Friday, August 15, 2008

Please Mr. Postman

Our pharmacy will mail your prescription medications to you -- it's a service we offer, although we have to do it to stay competitive. We don't charge for the mailing or the postage, and we'll even attempt to contact you when the credit card number you've given us for your copay declines. It does create a lot of extra work. But please understand, no matter how many times you ask me, I CANNOT tell you exactly when your prescription will arrive. Once it leaves the pharmacy it is out of my control. If you call to order the refill at 2pm today, and then ask me "Do you think I will get that tomorrow?", my best guess would be no.

"But I really need it and I just took my last one." My guess is still no.

"I'm going out of town and I've got to have it."

Well, on your way out of town, why don't you swing by the pharmacy and pick up the damn thing. Otherwise you will have to wait. I verified your address. And if it doesn't arrive in a few days, it may be sitting erroneously in your neighbor's mailbox or stuck in some sorting machine at the post office, but I just don't know what to tell ya.

I'm not sure what a pharmacy's responsibility should be when it comes to mailed medications that don't reach their destination. Should we be stuck for it and replace it? Do we charge the patient a second time? I'd be interested to hear others' policies on this.

2 comments:

EC said...

I think that if they don't get it, they're just out of luck. They're taking a chance with the mail anyway, so it's their fault if it doesn't arrive. And since you've already paid for the postage, that's more than fair in my book. If they get upset about it being lost, then maybe they'll consider actually picking it up at a pharmacy.

Anonymous said...

The pharm I work at was going to do that. Thankfully we didn't. We have too many people thinking that we are suppose to do EVERYTHING for them, including filling their refills when they are out. Using our mental poweres obviously.